Official Company Press Release:
Our standards for the Impulse 100 are very high.After 3 years of development and 1600 hours of rigorous flight testing of the first aircraft (prototype 1200 hours)we are able to say that: The IMPULSE is a safe airplane with Maneuvering speed of 220 km/h. It is tested for safe load factors of +-5,6 with a safety margin of 1,725. The Impulse 100 is optimized through quality control achieved by vacuum bagging every individual composite piece. Also, we only used the best material combinations with certified material values. This enables rigorous safety margins to be achieved. More interestingly, the Impulse 100 is a fast airplane. Its Cruise @ 75% power at 2000 ft is 250km/h Suprisingly, it is also an economical airplane. A flight from Oppin (EDAQ) to Karlsruhe (EDTK) a distance of 430 km, takes 1h45min. For that flight the Jabiru consumes 35 Litres of automotive fuel. Furthermore, the impulse is designed for comfort. The flight is pure relaxation, thanks to the comfortable cockpit and the extraordinary flight characteristics and performance of the impulse 100. The cockpit is layed out for the best comfort possible; adjustable seats, an unobstructed view through the big canopy, very smooth controls, very docile slow flight and stall behaviour, amazing controllability at all speeds, stable cruise flight. The phenominal performance of the Impulse 100 makes takeoff and landing in small grass fields in your backyard or even in the mountains as much fun as it is spectacular for spectators!
- 1. The i100's main advantage is the state-of-the-art airfoil recently developed by the university of Delft of The Netherlands. This sophisticated profile has already proven to exceed its predictions in a production aircraft. It boasts a 20% drag advantage in high speed flight and at the same time features extremely docile handling characteristics at approach speeds as a result of the sophisticated lift- doubling (compared to "clean" configuration) fowler flaps.
- 2. State-of-the-art Aerodynamics
- 3. "Clean" can be literally taken as the wing features integrated controls and flap guidances and no (!) recesses or gear doors for the landing gear. Even in the RG - version the wheels retract into the fuselage. All actuation devices are fully concealed within the aircraft resulting in a significant drag reduction. The same goes for the landing flaps which travel in parallelogram - shaped guidances.
- 4. The fixed gear is aerodynamically optimized through specially designed airfoil-shaped main landing gears. The integrated wheelpants further result in drag reduction
- 5. The design yields a very large range for center of gravity settings. This in turn is awarded by a very docile handling characteristics for every possible load- and- balance condition.
- 6. Extraordinary maneuverability, positive roll stability resulting in fighter- like handling and simultaneously comfortable hands-off cross country characteristics.
- 7. The carbon - honeycomb - composite technology -employed throughout the aircraft- results in very high integral stability at an astonishingly low ramp weight. This makes way for more payload and higher tolerable engine weight but -above all- gives the pilot a sense of confidence in structural integrity and thereby a very safe feeling when flying the aircraft.
- 8. Wing and horizontal stabilizer master-models were CNC- machined in Uriol, a very durable and environmentally stable material. As a result the tolerances from the calculated optimal airfoil shape could once again be reduced and thereby tendencies towards asymmetrical wing shapes be excluded.
- 9. Sophisticated cockpit design following most recent results from the german automotive industry in regard to ergonomic comfort and crashworthiness.
- 10. ll calculated safety factors comply with -or exceed JAR23, the european counterpart of FAR23.
- 11. Improved elimination of vibration between drive train and cell in order to eliminate noise where it originates: the engine mounts
- 12. Refined cooling drag reduction employing NACA inlets
12 Critical Features of the Impulse 100